Twitter

Monday 9 December 2013

Week 3 - 02/12

A good start to the week after having a full nights sleep. It's the little things in life that you get excited about at times.

A crappy week in work can lead to negative energy which you carry home, to the pool, onto the bike etc, so I made a pact with myself that it would not happen this week. I was going to approach things with a different view and let those around me do what they want on the negativity stakes, and not let myself be influenced by it. Often easier said than done, but this week I actually achieved it.
Potential other decisions probably helped my outlook, so we'll see how they pan out.

Monday's session was a swim and I had planned on doing it after the kiddies went to bed. So I got a bit of a surprise when I got home and was met with a mini pool in the kitchen. Ok, admittedly I didn't notice it straight away as I don't make a habit of going to the sink when I come in, Laura might expect too much then :) . Problem is/was a leaky dishwasher, apparently the pump is gone. Dear Santa, I would like........

The swim session went well and I enjoyed it. Sinuses behaved also.
I really need to work a lot on the pull part of my stroke. Just can't seem to grasp it, but that's target number 1 for swim over the next few weeks. Hopefully I will crack it and gain milliseconds per length. It all counts you know.

Another thing I hope improves is that the muppets who like to go to the pool for a chat about the weekends shenanigans and do a bit of breast stroking will stop hopping into the fast lane. #poolrage

Tuesday

Weight - 74.9kg
BF - 12.6%

Definitely think my scales is dodge

An early morning run on Tuesday morning. The best way to describe how I felt during and after the run is very fat and very unfit. My breathing was heavy, so heavy I near frightened the bejaysus out of some poor old man out for an early morning stroll with his dog. My HR was through the roof also, peaking at 174bpm and averaging 156. It's only early days I told myself.

In comparison, the turbo set on Tuesday evening felt controlled, good and enjoyable. A one hour set which included

2min effort / 2min spin
1:45 / 1:45
1:30 / 1:30
1:15 / 1:15
1:00 / 1:00
0:45 / 0:45
0:30 / 0:30
0:15 / 0:15
4min recovery spin then repeat

A S&C set got Wednesday kicked off. Following the S&C workshop last week, I introduced weights to this session for more effect. I also got the glutes firing, which is a big plus as before last week I don't think I was actually using them.

Another good swim on Wednesday night, but I couldn't kick the water out of my way. Persevere with kick drills or give up? I know which one I want to do. Muppets still chatting about the weekend in the lanes, not the same muppets but they must have had some weekend. Maybe I'm just jealous of people with a social life.

I had another turbo on Thursday. When I looked at the set initially, I thought that it was all over the place and I questioned the benefit of it. However, I have my trust placed in coach, so I went with it.
I couldn't have got my initial thoughts so wrong. It was a ball breaker of a set, but thoroughly enjoyable, and definitely a good set. Go on, you know you want to try it.

5x 10sec fast spin / 50sec spin - leave gear where it was in the warm up
3x 30sec L Leg / 30sec both legs / 30sec R Leg / 30sec both legs - concentrate on pedalling in circles particularly 9-1 o'clock portion
4x 30sec spin up (105rpm) / 30sec normal (90-95rpm) - leave the gears alone
2min spin
6x 30sec good pace (Level 3 HR) / 30sec spin
2min spin
12x 10sec HARD / 20sec spin
2min spin
6x 10sec HARD / 20sec spin

As part of a level 1 coaching course, I did a Child Protection course on Thursday night. A very insightful course and it's actually frightening what goes on across, thankfully a small few, teams and clubs.

Friday was a busy, but not on the training front. Missed swim session, but did a stretching routine instead. Not ideal, but ran out of time.

Saturdays run was a bit better than Tuesdays but still feeling unfit and pleasantly plump. HR was elevated again but it literally went through the roof when a jeep mounted the footpath and hit the wall where I had passed about 3 seconds earlier. I don't know who was more shocked, the driver or me. Legs were like jelly for the rest of the run.
Ballet show, shopping, a couple of pints and dinner rounded off a good Saturday (starting to realise now why I'm not shedding any lbs).

The troublesome twosome rose at 6am on Sunday morning so it was an early start to the day. Initial plan was to go out on the bike for 10am, but I fell back into bed at 8.30 until 10. It was a case of having to or else I would have fallen asleep on the handlebars. I went out on the bike for 11 and had a nice 1hr 50mins cycle followed by 25 mins of torture into a gale force wind, man I hate the wind. Overall though, not a bad day on the bike. The legs are starting to come together, so long may that continue.
Weekend was rounded off by an afternoon at the Snowman and an early night in the cot.

Thought for the week - 'Don't give up what you want most for what you want now'

No comments:

Post a Comment