Twitter

Monday 30 December 2013

Week 4 - 6 - 09/12 - 29/12

A wee bit of a capture all for this entry. A 3-in-1, although not as well oiled as the product.

Weight - 74.7kg
BF - 13.6% (This figure could be dangerous after Christmas)

Now you ain't getting any more weight updates until mid January.

The first week started off great, back on the treatment table to sort out the non firing glute issues, good progress made, so obviously that stretching lark does work. A good batch of home cooking also, with veg soup and protein bars to the fore.

The rest of the week was a bit of a mixed bag. Very exciting on one front, new beginnings with a job offer coming in, contract negotiations, and offer acceptance. The head was all over the place with decision making and this hit the energy levels for training. A day away with work hit another days training, so all in all it wasn't the most successful weeks training.
A third days training was missed with a visit to Santa. Agreeably, I could have fitted this in, but the weather was horrendous on Saturday morning, so I decided to do the run in the evening, but alas the energy was zapped come 7pm, so easy option was to have dinner and sit on the couch. Not the stuff of champions or ironman wannabe, but it is the stuff of balancing family life and I had a great day with the kids and Laura visiting Santa. Plus I did write my letter to Santa for an injury free 2014 so I just hope he delivers on it.

On the training front, the most successful part of the week was Friday's swim set. It actually felt good and I felt great doing it, not too often that happens so I'll put that one in the positive bank.
The long bike ride on Sunday didn't happen. Why? Well I only realised late on Saturday evening that I didn't have my bike at home. I actually felt like I was neglecting one of the family :) I made do with a 90 minute stint on the turbo. Long turbo's can be mentally draining but I enjoyed this one.

The second week in this chapter didn't get off to a great start either. Monday evenings swim couldn't happen as the pool closed early. God damn Christmas hours. So I swapped Mondays and Tuesdays sets and hit the turbo on Monday. The swim set on Tuesday felt good too, it has been a while since two swims in a row felt good but I'll take it.
The rest of the weeks training went relatively well, with the exception of a missed run.
Sundays long bike ride was cold, very very cold. It started off with slight drizzle, which soon turned to sleety rain, and shortly after turned into driving snow. The snow was blizzard like at times, but thankfully the roads didn't get too slippy as the snow wasn't really sticking. Even more thankful was the fact I wasn't out there on my own, so had others to share the pain and the cold, not that it eased t though. The pain in my hands when the blood started to reach the finger tips was terrible. It took me all day to warm up after it.

Christmas week itself was as near to a write off in training terms as you can get. Sets were dropped, swapped and abandoned, some of this brought on by laziness, other things to do, being away from my turbo, closed pool etc. Not much more to be said about this really.
The one session I was adamant I was not missing was the long bike on Saturday. Arrangements made with one of the lads on Friday evening, so not there was no backing out. It was cold on Sat morning, a few degrees below what was forecast, but off I set anyway, despite the objections of Laura, but that was to do with man flu rather than the cold. The roads were a bit slippy so care was needed especially when turning, but I wasn't expecting anything to happen on a straight section. How wrong was I? On a straight stretch of road, I hit the deck and hit it hard. I have no idea what happened, but all I remember is going down, putting my arms out to break the fall and then thinking 'hold on a second, don't go with the arms you could break a wrist', so I pulled back from that. The knee, hip and elbow got the brunt of the impact. Relatively new club jacket and new bib tights ripped. Oh great, so if anyone out there wants to sponsor new kit, you know where to find me (now form an orderly queue) :)
A big thanks to the two drivers in the cars who were behind me and slowed to rubber neck while I tried to pick myself off the ground. I hope you saw enough, I'm grand thanks....you inconsiderate muppets, hope you never need assistance.
A decision was made not to proceed with the spin, so I headed for home. Guess what? Yep, I came off again, this time when turning and it wasn't nearly as bad. It all happened in slow motion.

One thing I can be sure, these falls will definitely be the last of 2013 cause I ain't going out on the road again this year.

Last entry of 2013, but I'm looking forward to 2014 which will hopefully bring good results.

I'm sure most if not all will have goals of some sort for the new year, so have a look at the video clip below, I find it motivational


Quote of the week - What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals

No comments:

Post a Comment